What Does the House Demolition Process Entail?
Demolishing a house isn’t a particularly complex process, but it requires the homeowner to go through some basic steps before and after the building is actually destroyed. Understanding the house demolition process in Toledo, OH is key to a safe, smooth and hassle-free experience, and this is reason enough to hire professional demolition contractors to guide you.
Klumm Bros. has over three decades of experience with safe demolitions, and can help you through the process from start to finish. Read on to learn about the steps involved in demolishing a home and what you can expect when you work with us:
- Hire a reputable contractor: Not many of us have demolition equipment sitting in our garages, so the first step is to find a good contractor who can handle the job. They’ll be able to help you choose the right demolition method, perform the task and clear out the debris when it’s all over. Be sure to find out what’s included in the contract, get a price quote in writing and ask for a general timeline. References and client testimonials are also a good way to verify that they can do the work you need.
- Get an inspection: Most locales require an inspection to be performed before the demolition process can begin, especially when you’re in an older home. Building standards have changed over the years, so inspectors will check for lead paint, asbestos, mold, rot and more. These are health and safety hazards and will need to be addressed appropriately, if present. Your municipality will let you know whether this is a requirement for your particular property.
- Acquire permits: Next, you’ll need a demolition permit, usually issued by your city or county. These typically come with noise and safety requirements to preserve your neighbors’ peace and quiet.
- Prepare for demolition: After you have the necessary permits, you’ll want to prepare by fencing off your property and walkways, and disconnecting your utilities. That includes sewer, gas, electricity and water.
- Demolition: At this point, your contractors will take your home apart according to your chosen method. If you’ve decided to salvage any materials, your contractors will sort them according to what can be recycled, what can be sold and what must be disposed of.
- Waste removal: Finally, once the demolition is over, your contractor will remove the debris and salvaged material from your property and haul it away. (Make sure that this is in your contract—otherwise, you might need to arrange for waste removal on your own.)
Once the demolition is over, you should be left with a clean slate that’s ready for your next building or housing project.
Expert contractors to help you through the house demolition process in Toledo, OH
Since 1989, Klumm Bros. has been providing demolition and excavation services for commercial, industrial and residential clients. No matter the size and scope of your project, we can take you through each step of house demolition in Toledo, OH. We make safety and service our priority—call us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Excavation Company